...if you have a backyard and a kitchen, this blog might be for you!

a chronicle of tips and recipes on everything from gardening to canning and baking your produce, even if you're planted in suburbia...in fact, especially if you are planted in suburbia.



Monday, December 6, 2010

Sabbath Rest in the Bleak Days of Winter


In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus

If we never had winter, we'd hardly be able to see how consistent our tested hopes might be for a coming summer. It snowed in my city this most recent weekend of the Advent season, prompting me to remember an old carol that makes a lovely sabbath rest, all by itself:

In the Bleak Mid-winter
In the bleak midwinter,
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen
Snow on snow,
Snow
on
Snow,
In the bleak midwinter
Long ago.
Angels and archangels
Might have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim
Thronged the air;
But his mother only,
In her maiden bliss,
Worshiped the beloved
With a kiss.
What can I give him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb.
If I were a Wise Man,
I would do my part;
Yet what can I give him...

...give him my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment