...if you have a backyard and a kitchen, this blog might be for you!

a chronicle of tips and recipes on everything from gardening to canning and baking your produce, even if you're planted in suburbia...in fact, especially if you are planted in suburbia.



Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Under Glass...Not

Cindy Bee commented on the last post about a few more garden plants that can brave the weather even now, without needing the confines of a greenhouse--a luxury few of us urban gardeners have in our backyards. I have a few more I intend to put in this week, like the potatoes, and maybe I'll even make a first attempt with a kohlrabi plant or two; but for your benefit, should your garden not have the pH limitations mine does, I'll offer a list of frost-tolerant crops.

Here they are:
asparagus
beats
fava beans
broccoli
brussel sprouts
cabbages
carrots
cauliflower
celery
endive
garlic
kale
kohlrabi
corn salad
leeks
parsnips
radishes
sorrel
spinach
rutabagas
swiss chard

Quite a list! Tomorrow (if I get my hands out of the garden and on the keyboard again) I'll share the early spring to-do list from the Gardening Basics book so you're all ready to get to planting from that prolific list.

Happy planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment