...if you have a backyard and a kitchen, this blog might be for you!

a chronicle of tips and recipes on everything from gardening to canning and baking your produce, even if you're planted in suburbia...in fact, especially if you are planted in suburbia.



Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sabbath Rest in the Plowing Season

What do we do if our heart yearns to gaze upon scenes like this:



but all we find beyond our window is this, not bad just kind of scraggly, and with the deadness of a former year still scattered around on the ground.


Such is the season of the plowing of the soul.
An author I'm currently reading, Ruth Myers, speaks of such seasons in her book The Satisfied Heart.
Those years in Taiwan were good in so many ways, but they were hard years. They were a time of plowing in my life, when the steel of the plow was cutting deep into my soul. I could no longer feel the love of God as easily as I had before. I would tell Him, "Lord, I don't know what's happening to me. I don't know why my emotions don't cooperate like they used to." Then I would just remember Hebrews 13:8 where God says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." So I would choose to believe that His love for me and His life in me had not changed, but were still as warm and true and certain as before...
...But after about three years of plowing, God took me back to the second chapter of the Song of Solomon:
"For lol the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land...Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." I felt God was telling me that the plowing time was over, the winter done with, and I now could look forward to a new fresh springtime of love with Him.
Happy spring in all the best ways, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment