...if you have a backyard and a kitchen, this blog might be for you!

a chronicle of tips and recipes on everything from gardening to canning and baking your produce, even if you're planted in suburbia...in fact, especially if you are planted in suburbia.



Monday, May 30, 2011

To weed or not to weed...






...an easy choice when a weed is a weed. A harder one when it is a useful but wildly producing herb. Lemon balm is the first case in point.




Some herbs in the garden come back without invitation year after year, almost to the point of being a nuisance. Obviously, this bushy herb, shown below in the left corner, is prolific early in the season and continues to offer its foliage through early autumn. Already, I'm pulling it as it spreads like a weed, trying to appropriate areas for itself that are designated for broccoli, snow peas and onions. (Its neighbors.)










Rather than tossing aside large handfuls of this herb, I'm looking for ways to incorporate it better into our family menu. Here is a link to a website that has ample recipes for using this aromatic that is "lemony with a hint of mint."
http://www.preferredconsumer.com/food_drink/articles/lemon_balm_recipes.html



Another repeat offender that is being rather invasive this year? Dill.

Here you see a batch of dill seedlings I pulled because they, too, are attempting to make a home in the "wrong" part of the garden. I have allowed an "herbal hedge" of dill to start growing in back of the flower garden corner of of my little cottage garden, so any other dill I ruthlessly pull before it flowers and drops seeds. Fortunately, fresh dill is also a versatile herb, and ample recipes offer a wide variety of ways to use even these frothy seedlings.

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blherb5.htm


Following the recipe links above brought me here:


http://homecooking.about.com/od/condimentrecipes/r/blsauce19.htm
So my first venture may be this creamy mustard dill sauce poured over grilled chicken or eggplant with a side of pasta tossed in a fresh lemon balm pesto. Pretty delightful use for "garden waste" in my opinion!



Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. I love herbs. I hope to get back into doing more with them once we get settled into our new house. One thing I like about dill is that it's good for butterfly larvae. Sometimes, we forget what the larvae needs to survive and just try to 'feed' the butterflies. We need to remember to take care of both!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy...I didn't realize that about the dill. Based on how much I have allowed to come up "volunteer" this year, I should have a beautiful butterfly garden!

    ReplyDelete