...if you have a backyard and a kitchen, this blog might be for you!

a chronicle of tips and recipes on everything from gardening to canning and baking your produce, even if you're planted in suburbia...in fact, especially if you are planted in suburbia.



Saturday, June 18, 2011

What's Your Sign, Baby?

While at the front of my garden--up toward the house--are lovely little scene like the one shown above, in the back, along the fence and hidden behind a tree is my small-scale attempt at composting. I composted one year at a former residence and was rather successful, but hadn't tried it here until now. So far, we have a nice layering of grass clippings and shredded paper to which we have added some kitchen and garden scraps. I need another layer of grass and maybe a bag of potting soil for a "starter" before turning it all. I've read that water and air are two key factors to turning these elements in to compost so I'll water it (unless it rains aplenty, as it has been here) and turn it with a pitchfork (which I still need to get.) In time, I'll have compost without having to make a run to Home Depot to get it.




In the course of my research on merely adequate composting methods (I admit it, I'm not motivated to be an excellent composter just yet) I came across the following article that is a fun but informative look at composting. I'm considering myself a Novice, but got the link from an Evangelist. What's your sign? (You'll know what I mean when you read the article.)



Happy heaping!

No comments:

Post a Comment