...if you have a backyard and a kitchen, this blog might be for you!

a chronicle of tips and recipes on everything from gardening to canning and baking your produce, even if you're planted in suburbia...in fact, especially if you are planted in suburbia.



Friday, October 7, 2011

What's Out There?

This is my first year to try gardening deep into the fall, and here's what I'm finding when I tromp out to the garden--still in my flip flops, but through dew that is awfully chilly now! I find the green peppers still producing beautiful fruit...



...beans looking tired, but still productive enough to be left to grow...






...Second-generation stalks on the Brussel sprouts starting to fruit...







...late summer planting of snow peas rising up alongside the still-flowering tomato plant...






...chives in flower...






...and radishes in their prime.


As for the flower garden, it's still giving enough color to make mini-vase displays to companion the mini-pot winter herb garden, hopefully inspiring seedlings to spring up and grow hardy!

Initially, I'd count this first fall garden as a success.




Happy enduring life!

No comments:

Post a Comment